Friday, May 1, 2009

Reflection: Weeks 13 & 14

WEEK 14:

Over week 13 we learned more about advocacy by adding onto the advocacy project through completion of an issue overview on the topic we has chosen to advocate for. For myself it felt good to expand my knowledge by looking up information and becoming something like a subject matter expert on my topic, I like when I have researched and know the specifics on a top (like yoga, health etc.) because then you are able to reach so many more people, informing them of what the benefits are, why you are so passionate about the subject and what they can do to better themselves. In this project we did just that.

Also, I thought the walk was a great way to get out of the classroom and into our actual environment, I enjoyed doing something new, I have never used a compass prior, and thought it was a great out of the norm experience for our class. P.S. I do not think we could have asked for a nicer day to get outside also, it was great!

I have learned about through week 13 that it pays off to spend the time doing research when it is needed. By taking the time to look up information on my issue, it helped me tremendously to write my letter in week 14. It was a great feeling to have done the work, know the facts, and then use that information to help make a difference! And i learned how to use a compass you could complain, now I won't get lost in the woods:)

WEEK 14

Over week 14 we completed our advocacy projects by writing our letter to elected officials or editors. I felt that the advocacy project was something that grew on me and after completion I see the significance of advocacy in our responsibility's....thanks Dr. V! at first I was totally not digging it..... but I get it now. After, reviewing the letters written by our classmate... I was really impressed. My congrats to all of you... good work!

Also, this week we did our junking activity. I personally really enjoyed this. I think that ideas of re purposing, reusing and what not is really great and I didn't realize how much of this I was all ready doing with my house and things already!:) It was really fun for my and I'm especially excited for Sue Whitney after I saw here book on the Today Show!

Well thats all for now all,
Abbey:)

5 comments:

  1. Abbey- I am also excited to hear from Sue Whitney!! I think its going to be another fun class day! Good reflection of the last couple of weeks and congrats to you as well for your great letter to the senator! --S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbey-
    I really enjoyed the junking activity as well. I'm excited to hear from Sue Whiteney and learned more about "junking" I'm glad you have the ability to find your way out of the woods if you ever get lost :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Abbey,

    I totally agree with you when you say that it feels good to know what your talking about and doing research on something. It's so much easier to converse when you have the facts straight, let alone write a letter to our political representative! I also think junking and repurposing is so interesting! It's awesome how we all sort of do it without knowing! Great post Abbey =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey abbey! I also enjoyed the junking activity. Too funny! OUr group had so much fun doing that! Letter to the senator was also something new and interesting to do! Great post! I really enjoyed reading your posts over the semester!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abbey~ You will have to tell me how everything went with Sue and all the cool things you learned about junking from her!

    Thanks for the card and flowers that you guys/gals gave me it really brightened my day! I really missed you all this week!

    ReplyDelete